Wednesday 9 March 2011

Another fab Friday outing.

So as I said before I am trying to arrange fun toddler friendly outings for me and any of my baby friends who want to come. After the lovely Mudlarks we had a week off to let the halfterm children have their fun and last week headed to Discover in Stratford .This week was a complete photo fail, not just bad pictures but utterly useless don't show the place at all ones, so any images will have to be 'found'.


Discover is a children's story telling centre where they have created lots of role-play and imaginative areas. You could set sail on a ship to a dream destination, hide in a dark swampland or explore a curious cave. We had a brilliant time, after an initial bit of warm up time at the beginning my little one loved going off to explore the different areas. He loved discovering the coloured lights that made animal noises as you passed through them. There is just the right amount of physical play, a slide that luckily my bottom and the toddler fit down together, a steep mound to climb mixed in with the more cosy book reading areas. And as you would imagine there are books everywhere and opportunities and starting points for writing too.

We attended a free story telling session that they seem to run daily, it was lovely but I think next time I might skip it. It was at 11.30 which seemed to be a break in when the school groups were there. The school kids were lovely but when trying to let a toddler explore without getting knocked over or getting in the way it is simpler with fewer children.

It is a great place and has been open for a few years and you can tell it has been well loved, but I still think it is much nicer than pretty much all of the expensive play spaces I have been to. The areas are well thought out and open-ended enough for the children to explore at their own level. I can't wait to go back and explore the garden which we didn't quite make this time. I also think it is great value, it is £4.50 for an adult and children under 2 go free, but a years membership is only £25 which seems amazing.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely and honest description of Discover. Now my daughter is over 2 years old I don't go as much but this was a fave when she got in for free. I know local families usually sign up for membership and many people stay the whole day in the summer months as the outdoor play space is great too.

    My next tip for you, for a great day out with the kids, is Kid's Zone at the National Army Museum: http://bit.ly/i6u2SL. It's in Chelsea so I would make a day of it by going round the charity shops on the King's Road as they've often got good pickings as it's a wealthy area.

    Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete